Endoscopic disc surgery using the TESSYS® method
Before surgery, your doctor will examine you thoroughly. He will ask you about your complaints and will do some diagnostic imaging. In general, this will be a magnetic resonance image (MRI) or sometimes also a computed tomography (CT) scan. A major advantage of the TESSYS® method is that it can be carried out under local anesthesia and a simultaneous “sedation”. However, your doctor will tell you what form of anesthesia will be best in your individual case. A standard operation takes approximately 45 minutes.
TESSYS® – three steps to pain relief
1. Access to the site of disease – create the “keyhole”
2. Remove endoscopically the tissue that pinches the nerve root
3. Check whether the nerve is free again and remove the instruments.
First Step – the access
During the TESSYS® surgery you will lay on your side or on your stomach. Your doctor will make a small incision of a few millimeters on your lateral back and will create a channel directly to the site of the disc herniation. For this purpose, the tissue is gently widened – there is no need to cut muscles or ligaments. For access into the spinal canal a natural opening is used – the intervertebral foramen.
Second Step – removal of the herniation
Through this “keyhole” from your back to the site of action, the tissue pressing on the nerves can be removed. Your doctor will enter with a special endoscope into this surgical field. With this foraminoscope, he has a bright and sharp image of all structures within the spinal canal. With special micro instruments, he will very carefully and specifically remove the herniated disc material.
Third Step – final check and closure
Finally, the surgeon checks whether the affected nerve fibres are free again. Only then, he removes all the instruments and closes the small incision with one or two stitches and a patch. Usually, you will be free of pain immediately after surgery. After about two hours, you can get up again. Your doctor will tell you when you can go back home and return to your everyday life.
TESSYS® is a modern, minimally invasive, endoscopic surgical procedure that was developed in recent years in Germany. It provides very specific advantages:
- the minimally invasive endoscopic approach allows the preservation of all stabilizing structures – ligaments, muscles and bones.
- because the operation is so gentle, you need only mild anesthesia
- you will be able to return significantly faster to your everyday life.
Who can benefit most from TESSYS®?
With TESSYS® nearly all types of herniated discs can be removed – even those which are difficult to treat with some other methods. It also can be used for patients who had already previously spine surgery and for lateral disc herniations.
That’s what you can count on!
- First scientific studies confirm a success rate of more than 93 percent
- The renowned U.S. research clinic “The Cleveland Clinic” calls attention to the endoscopic techniques, offering significantly accelerated healing, compared to conventional methods.
Take a look at the operation!
Have a look at the animated video and see how gentle the TESSYS® method works!